Well, we had a decent run in the first three Rounds but the Supercoach Gods are a fickle bunch. Rd4 started badly for many with Priddis being a late withdrawal and continued with a spate of injuries and under-performing premos & rookies. Not the last time the word ‘carnage’ passes the lips of Supercoaches this year. Coaches are now scrambling to plug holes (mainly in defence) in their teams. A handful of promising downgrade options have presented themselves. One in particular is a long way in front on the Most Traded IN list at this early stage (SC Gold, as of 8am on 19.4.16):
1 – Darcy Byrne-Jones (PTA, $123 900, DEF)
+ No.1 Traded IN player by an absolute mile! In an under-achieving Power team, his job security looks to be steady.
+ 61 & 97 SC pts from his first two games. 21 touches and a goal against the Giants last Sunday.
+ Break Even of -85, projected BEs of -60 & -6. Last chance to get him at this price!
+ Looks to be the safest downgrade option at this stage of the week. Next five opponents: GEE, RICH, BRL, CARL, WCE.
– The selection table……..Maybe just wait till teams are announced on Thursday night, stranger things have happened.
2 – Tom Ruggles (GEE, $102 400, DEF)
+ Has spent 87% & 85% Time On Ground in his first two games.
+ 17 touches in both appearances till now. Seems to be finding enough of the ball.
+ Bargain basement price will allow you to free up that extra bit of cash elsewhere.
+ BE of -57, projected BEs of -9 & -10.
– After watching much of his first two games, I believe Ruggles is not in the Cats best 22 (just my personal opinion).
– Enright to come back in along with a host of fringe players (McCarthy, Bews, Kersten, etc) knocking on the door. Big query on job security for mine.
– Five clangers against Essendon on Saturday brought his score down to just 40 pts (from 85% TOG).
3 – Shane Biggs (WBD, $425 300, DEF)
+ Injuries happen in football. While we don’t wish them upon anyone, Biggs seems to be the main beneficiary of long-term injuries to Murphy and Johannisen (and indifferent form of Matthew Boyd).
+ 32 touches with 75% Disposal Efficiency against Carlton for his 120 SC pts.
+ Averaging 98 over the first four games. Looks to have grown into that sweeper role across half-back.
+ BE of 53, projected BE of 51. This is the cheapest you’ll see him for a few weeks at least.
– Wasn’t able to cement a spot in Sydney over three years (and even last year at the Kennel).
– Previous three years SC average: 72, 49 & 62. Is this just a peak in form? Is he a keeper for the remainder of the season or are we chasing points?
4 – Alex Rance (RICH, $531 300 DEF)
+ Richmond’s highest SC-scorer after four games with an average of 109.
+ BE of 51, projected BE of 74. Won’t get him cheaper for a few weeks at least.
+ Hit the ton on ten occasions in 2015 where he averaged 97 for the year.
+ Looks entrenched as a Top 10 DEF for the season.
– Is a key position player so his scores can be erratic at times. Went under 70 in four games last year. Might be priced at his peak now and the coming 2-3 weeks.
5 –Zach Merrett (ESS, $530 000 FWD/MID)
+ Looks to have taken the next step in the absence of his 12 mates.
+ Averaging 116 pts over the first four Rounds. Getting harder to ignore his form/numbers.
+ 29 touches, eight tackles and a goal for his 123 SC pts against Geelong.
+ BE of 90 this week against the Pies on Anzac Day. You’d think he’s a Monty to get that & more.
– Will he get tagged at some stage? Are coaches even bothering with a tag these days? Otherwise there’s not much to see here 😉
Nos. 6-10: David Zaharakis (ESS), Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (ESS), Aaron Hall (GCS), Josh Wagner (MELB), Todd Goldstein (NTH).
Most Traded OUT players: Jason Johannisen (WBD), Tom Papley (SYD), Sam Gray (PTA), Mitch Brown (ESS), Wayne Milera (ADE), Tommy Sheridan (FRE), Zac Smith (GEE), Paul Seedsman (ADE), Stefan Martin (BRL), Matthew Lobbe (PTA).
Be sure to check out the SCT Leagues Update later today to see which leagues are up there in the overall competition. We also have an updated version of Breakevens from Chillo! MJ’s Fallen Premiums will be up in the morning and Father Dougal will advise us on the fattening cows in the afternoon. Plus Movers & Shakers, The Captains Table and various polls across the course of the week. New SC-material every day here at SCT……..get around us!
One notable omission from the list is Carlton youngster, Ciaran Byrne. That may still change when teams are announced on Thursday night. We always enjoy hearing from all of you. Let us know of any trade plans in the poll and comments below………..
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom