It was a cracking day for the inaugural SCT Golf Day as Bonsai, Shaggi, Roo Bloke and Yiorgakis lined up with MJ and Motts at the Royal and Ancient Albert Park golf course for a Stableford competition, more than a few laughs and a frothy or two at the end.
Talk on the putting green before the round centred on Bonsai’s terrific performance in the Big Bash Fantasy League (he’s leading the damned thing!), TDA’s great punting efforts, and Mottsy’s incredibly skillful short game.
The groups were set with MJ, Bonsai and Roo Bloke in the first group leading the way with Shaggi, Yiorgi and Motts following.
In an entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable contest, MJ, Bonsai and Roo Bloke managed to knock off the older practitioners 117 stableford points to 85 (the chief handicapper will be taking a STERN look at Group 1 prior to our next hit).
3 individual prizes were available on the day:
- Nearest The Pin – Originally the 8th hole but subsequently moved to the 10th after everyone failed to put a ball on the 8th green. Won by MJ.
- Longest Drive – the 11th hole. Won by Bonsai who managed to outdrive Shaggi by about 10 metres and keep it on the fairway.
- Nearest In Two – the 14th. Roo Bloke won this after smashing his drive over the top of the out of bounds area into a greenside bunker and then flopping one to within about 4 feet (yes he sank the putt for bird).
Highlights for the day were:
- MJ hitting onto the green with his second shot on the short par 5 7th and putting for eagle. He missed it by a whisker and then knocked down the bird. MJ finished with a very creditable 90 off the stick playing to his handicap of 18.
- Bonsai’s short game. With exceptional work around the greens, Bonsai had 7 three point holes on the front 9 which saw him turn the corner on 24 points. He finished for the day with the highest stableford score – 41 points – after shooting 92 off the stick.
- Roo Bloke’s back 9. After playing to his handicap with an 18 point front 9, RB put the foot down coming home scoring 22 points for the second highest score for the day – 40 points (92 off the stick).
- Shaggi’s shot onto the 17th green that almost hit our SCT brethren before they had cleared the green was his highlight of the day for mine. His solid all round game was on display throughout the day though underlining his 18 handicap. Final score: 30 points (94 gross).
- Yiorgakis’ ability to shape the ball at will was the centrepiece of his game. After warming up for 17 holes he strode confidently onto the 18th, turned to Shaggi and myself and said “watch this”. He then wound up and launched a powerful drive that headed straight for the high fence on the left hand side of the tee. Getting within a school ruler’s length of it, the ball then faded back to finish in the mayor’s office smack bang in the middle of the fairway. After scoring 113 off the stick, Yiorgi finished with 23 points.
- Motts birdied the second hole of the day but other than that there wasn’t too much to write home about. His 89 was the best gross score but a 13 handicap meant he finished well off the pace with 32 points.
All in all it was a terrific day. We’ll certainly be doing it again sometime. If you like your golf, we’d love to see you out there.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom