As you know, here at SCT we’re all about adding value. Two Cents made me aware this week of a competition that he’s been part of for a few years that’s run by a mate of a mate. He ran me through it over a coffee this morning and it looks pretty good – I reckon I’ll join.
It’s certainly comprehensive – below you’ll find the rules of the competition. There’s a spreadsheet that comes with it as well which you’ll get if you’re interested in joining. It costs $100 to enter (of which $10 is deducted for administration fees – the rest goes into the prize pool) so its not cheap but you can buddy up with a mate or 2 to co-coach a team. The prizes are pretty substantial – Two Cents said he walked away with $4k a couple of years ago. TC makes no money for referring anyone. And as usual SCT gets diddly squat as well.
At this stage I’m just looking for expressions of interest and any questions people may have. Leave a comment below in either case. OK here’s the rules – I’ve cut and paste these from a document that gets provided to entrants:
Choose a squad of 27 players based on their ability to accumulate points over the 3 categories listed below. There are certain player restrictions which have been listed below as well.
Player Points Category
- Each of your 27 players will receive Champion Data Ranking Points at face value over Home and Away Rounds 2-23. Details of the points are published in the “Herald Sun” as well as on their Supercoach Website.
- Each of your 27 players will receive 100 points for each “Herald Sun” vote awarded over the Home & Away Rounds 2-23.
- Each of your 27 players will receive 250 points for every Brownlow vote awarded for Rounds 2-23 at the 2012 Count .
- You must choose 7 Defenders, 10 Midfielders, 7 Forwards and 3 Rucks.
- You must choose 2 players from 9 AFL Clubs and 1 player from the other 9 AFL Clubs.
Players have been placed into 1 of 4 categories, based last year’s performance. You must choose 5 “Elite” players, 7 “Gun” players, 8 “Mr Consistent” players and 7 “Unproven” players.
Nominate a Captain and Vice Captain for your team. Your Captain will receive 2:1 (double) ranking points throughout the entire season, the Vice Captain 1.5:1 ranking points throughout the entire season. Herald Sun Vote points and Brownlow points will remain unchanged for both Captains.
Nominate who you think will win this year’s Brownlow medal. Up to 5,000 points will be awarded to anyone who correctly picks the Medallist. The actual amount of points awarded to each correct nomination will depend on the number of players who tie for the award. As an example if there were a tie between two players, 2,500 points would be awarded to each entry that nominated either player. Note: This player does not have to be part of your designated team.
You need to nominate the 2 Teams you think will make this year’s AFL Grand Final. You also need to nominate the team who you think will finish the lowest on the ladder excluding Gold Coast & GWS after the end of the home and away season (so if GC & GWS finish in last 2 positions, points will be awarded to those who have picked the side that finished 16th). 2,500 Points will be awarded for a correct nomination.
Nominate the 8 teams you think will make the final eight at the end of this year’s Home & Away season, in the order you think they will finish. 500 points will be awarded for each team you nominate correctly in the 8, plus an additional 500 points for each team you nominate in the correct position.
Due to split Round in Round 1, we have decided to start the competition from Round 2 this year. So, entries are in by 6pm Thursday 5 April.
We will be running a knockout comp again this year, so pitting team vs team until there is only one left. When this will start and exactly how this will be run will be determined by the number of entries received.
There will be 3 trade periods this year, after the completion of Rounds 6, 12 & 18. There will be cost to draft players and restrictions will apply. Full details on the draft will be provided early in the week following Round 6.
A weekly update will be emailed to you so you can keep track on how your team is performing. This will usually be sent out Tuesday night, later for any rounds that are not completed on a Sunday (Rd 2,7 and 11). You will only be eligible for an update once you have paid for the competition.
The winner will be the entry that has the highest cumulative total of Player Ranking points, Herald Sun Vote points and Brownlow Vote points by its chosen players, plus any bonuses awarded from its nominated Grand Finalists, Wooden Spooner, Brownlow Winner and Final Eight, less any cost for draft changes.
- The majority of the prize pool will be handed out to the end of year winners. However there are some additional prizes on offer which have been listed below. Full details of all $ amounts will be confirmed once number of entries are known.
- Cash Prize for winner of the knockout comp
- Cash Prize for the mid season leader based on Player Ranking Points and Herald Sun Vote points achieved up to and including Round 12.
- Cash Prize for highest Ranking Point average (excluding missed games)
- Cash Prize to the team who achieves the highest number of bonus points from Grand Final, Wooden Spoon and Final Eight bonuses (Brownlow winner bonus is excluded).
- Cash Prize to the team who accrues the most amount of Brownlow Vote points.
- End of year prizes will be handed out to the top 5 place getters based on the highest cumulative points scored as outlined under the Winner of the Competition details. The balance of the prize pool (ie: after taking off the smaller prizes on offer) will be awarded to these 5 place getters after taking off the smaller prizes on offer. This will be split 60% for 1st, 20% for 2nd, 10% for 3rd, 6% for 4th and 4% for 5th.
- Note: all prizes will be handed out at the end of the year. You can only win a max of 2 prizes for the year, one if you are the end of year winner. The prize will be handed over to the team that was in second place for the relevant for the relevant prize category.
- Entry to the competition is open to anyone and the fee is $100 per team. You may also enter the competition more than once. In this case your second full entry will only cost you $50.
Note: Syndicated entries will be accepted (a max of 3 per syndicate), but please note you only own a percentage of any syndicated team. By this mean, if you are part of a two man syndicate, you own 50% of that team, if you are part of a three man syndicate, you own 33% of that team. Therefore while the reduced fee for multiple entries applies to syndicated entries, your eligibility is based on the total % of teams you own, not the number of teams you are affiliated with.
Note: Your entry must be received by 6pm Thursday, 5 April (Round 2 begins that night) to be eligible for the competition. Please ensure your payment is made at the time your entry is submitted. You are not eligible to receive weekly updates until your entry is paid. The only payment option of the entry fee is via direct Internet transfer into a nominated bank account. Where it asks you to include a reference that will appear on the recipient’s bank statement, please include your full name or team name.
NB: Please note that this competition is not endorsed, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Supercoach Talk nor Motts, Big Sexy & Duck.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom