The 2016 Season has just been completed (Congrats to all the Doggies fans out there!), yet the trade news continues to flow on a daily basis. With teams (and players) looking for a change of fortune, there are plenty of list changes bound to take place. Here is the latest news from around the traps:
* Free Agent Ricky Henderson won’t receive a new deal from the Crows. The club is reported to be interested in a compensation draft pick rather than work on a trade deal.
* Jarrad Lyons is out of contract and is yet to reach an agreement with the Crows (no trade request as yet). At this stage, he looks likely to stay.
* Former Captain Nathan Van Berlo has announced his retirement.
* Veteran Scott Thompson is on the verge of signing a new one-year-deal for 2017.
* Cam Ellis-Yolmen is said to be exploring his options after a lack of opportunities in 2016.
* The Crows have delisted Luke Lowden & Keenan Ramsey.
* Kyle Cheney, Mitch Grigg & Harrison Wigg are still out of contract.
* The Lions have cut five players from their list: Jackson Paine, Hugh Beasley, Billy Evans, Josh Watts & Josh McGuiness.
* Small forward Josh Green is reportedly open to the idea of a trade.
* Despite plenty of rumours floating around, Tom Rockliff’s management say he is unlikely to leave the Lions. Adelaide are said to be leading the charge if Rocky decides on a move.
* Daniel Merrett retired at the end of the season after 200 games.
* Jack Frost of Collingwood is set to strengthen the backline after naming the Lions as his preferred destination. Looks set to sign a three-year-deal.
* Pearce Hanley officially met with the Suns’ management this week. A trade will only be made if it is ‘mutually beneficial for both clubs’. Hanley is interested in staying close to his younger brother Cian, who is still contracted to the Lions.
* Ruckman Cameron Wood has retired (joining Michael Jamison & Andrew Walker) while the Blues have delisted Matthew Dick & Jayden Foster.
* Levi Casboult has agreed to a new one-year deal.
* Clem Smith has been delisted after failing to play a senior game this season. He may yet receive another chance at West Coast!
* Kade Simpson has signed a new one-year deal to play on into his 15th season.
* Young gun Jacob Weitering has signed a four year contract extension.
* Zach Tuohy has been offered a new three-year-deal by the Blues but is yet to decide on his future. Apparently the Kangaroos have offered him a four-year contract.
* The Blues are showing plenty of interest in out-of-contract Bulldog Nathan Hrovat.
* Travis Cloke has requested a move away from the Magpies and has nominated the Bulldogs as his preferred destination. A late 3rd or 4th Round pick may be enough to get the deal done according to inside sources.
* Free Agent Nathan Brown is reportedly attracting plenty of rival interest. Hasn’t been any new developments for a few weeks now though.
* Jarrod Witts seems to have fallen out of favour and could be used at the trade table.
* The Pies are being heavily linked to Daniel Wells & (especially) Chris Mayne.
* The Pies have delisted Matthew Goodyear, Tim Golds & Darrean Wyatt.
* Lachlan Keefe & Josh Thomas will return to the club after serving their suspension in breach of the AFLs anti-doping code.
* Dane Swan, Alan Toovey & Brent Macaffer retired at the end of the season.
* Jack Frost has nominated Brisbane as his preferred destination and looks set to sign a three-year-deal with the Lions.
* The Pies may give a lifeline to Nick Dal Santo for 2017.
* Michael Hibberd has requested a trade to Melbourne.
* Michael Hartley has signed on until the end of 2018.
* James Gwilt has been delisted after two seasons at the club.
* Tayte Pears has retired to pursue a career as a firefighter.
* After much speculation, Michael Hurley extended his contract with the club.
* Jobe Watson has announced that he will play in 2017.
* The Bombers have delisted three more players over the last week – Tom Wallis, Jason Ashby & Shaun Edwards.
* Zach Merrett has signed a contract extension that will see him at Windy Hill until the end of the 2021 season.
* Jayden Laverde has signed on for the next two years with the Bombers.
* Former Geelong player James Kelly looks set to play on in 2017.
* Free Agent Zac Clarke is still weighing up his options with plenty of interest coming from home-state Victoria for the 26 year-old. A decision is expected before trade week begins.
* Injury-prone rookie Sean Hurley has been delisted.
* It looks as though Hayden Ballantyne has played his last game for Freo. His manager is gauging interest from Victorian clubs although the Eagles still look likely to secure the small forward (reportedly in a three-way deal with GWS for McCarthy & MacKenzie for Eagles).
* Michael Barlow looks set to stay with the Dockers but is yet to sign a new contract.
* Anthony Morabito has been delisted after just 26 games from seven seasons at the club. He joins Tanner Smith as the third player to be delisted over the last week.
* Chris Mayne is almost certain to request a move as the Free Agent meets with Melbourne clubs ahead of the trade period. Has been heavily linked to Collingwood.
* Premiership Hawk Brad Hill has nominated Freo as his destination of choice. Rumour has it that a 2nd Round Pick may be enough to seal the deal.
* Ed Langdon extended his stay at Freo till the end of 2017 despite the lure of returning home to Victoria.
* Freo looks set to secure Cam McCarthy from GWS during the trade period. Discussions have begun………
* Josh Deluca, Tendai Mzungu, Jack Hannath, Matt de Boer, Clancee Pearce & Brady Grey have been delisted by the club this week.
* In need of some tall targets up forward, Freo are said to be very keen on Aaron Black, formerly of the Kangaroos. Shane Kersten of Geelong is said to undergo a medical check with the Dockers this week.
* Unlucky big man Nathan Vardy has been linked to GWS, the Bulldogs, Port Adelaide and now West Coast for a possible trade.
* The Cats are also rumoured to be very interested in Brett Deledio (should he request a trade). A straight swap of Motlop for Deledio is being bandied about in the media (Author: don’t do it, Tigers!).
* Mitch Clark is out of contract and could be on the move.
* Jimmy Bartel & Tom Lonergan are yet to announce their future plans.
* Daniel Menzel is negotiating a new contract but looks set to sign on.
* With the loss of Matthew Pavlich and likely trade of Chris Mayne, Freo are said to be very interested in out-of-contract forward Shane Kersten (from West Australia). He is set to undergo a medical check with the Dockers.
* Geelong wasted no time in delisting five players after their Preliminary Final loss on Friday: Zac Bates, Cameron Delaney, Padraig Lucey, Tom Read & Jack Cornell.
* Rookies Tom Ruggles & James Parsons look set to remain at the club.
* Corey Enright has announced his retirement, effective immediately. He bows out as the current Geelong games record holder.
* In the search for some salary cap space, the Cats may be prepared to give up Steven Motlop during the trade period.
* Dion Prestia has requested a trade to Richmond.
* Tom Nicholls & Jack Leslie have extended their stay at the Gold Coast until the end of 2018.
* Seb Tape, Luke Russell, Danny Stanley & Tom Keough have been delisted.
* Jaeger O’Meara has nominated Hawthorn as his preferred trade destination.
* The Suns are showing interest in Brendan Ah Chee from Port Adelaide. Younger brother Callum is on the Suns list.
* Out-of-contract defender Caleb Marchbank has walked out on the club and requested a trade to Carlton.
* After suffering a season-ending foot injury at training, Jack Steele may have played his last game for the Giants. Plenty of interest from the Melbourne clubs for Steele with StKilda said to be the likely destination. Steele is waiting until after the GWS B&F on Friday evening before announcing a decision.
* Stephen Coniglio has signed a new contract extension until the end of 2019.
* The Giants look like finally losing Cam McCarthy to the Dockers over the trade period. The clubs are said to have started tentative discussions over a trade deal.
* Stevie J announced he’d like to play on in 2017.
* Jake Barrett will explore his trade options after only playing the one game in three years in Sydney.
* Rory Lobb will honour his contract until the end of the 2017 season.
* Reports coming through that current players are prepared to take pay-cuts to help the club during the trade period.
* Jaeger O’Meara has nominated the Hawks as his preferred destination while the club is also heavily linked to Tom Mitchell.
* Brad Hill has requested a trade out west……..to Freo. A 2nd Round Pick might be enough to close the deal.
* It is rumoured that the Hawks will offer Ty Vickery a three-year-contract before the trade period.
* Jack Trengove has signed a new one-year-deal.
* Ex-Bomber Jake Melksham will finally take his place with the Dees after serving his year-long suspension.
* After much speculation about his future, Jesse Hogan has signed on with the Dees until the end of 2019.
* Michael Hibberd has announced Melbourne as his preferred trade destination away from Essendon.
* Dom Tyson has extended his contract by two years, tying him to the club till the end of 2019.
* The Demons have delisted Jack Grimes, Matt Jones & Dean Terlich.
* Cam Pedersen looks set to sign a contract extension.
* Chris Dawes has not been offered a new contract at this stage.
* Lynden Dunn looks set for a move to Brisbane after playing just the four senior games this year.
* Aaron Black and the Kangaroos have mutually parted ways. With the loss of Matthew Pavlich and possibly Chris Mayne, Freo are said to be very keen on Black.
* Drew Petrie, Brent Harvey, Michael Firrito & Nick Dal Santo have not been offered new contracts for 2017.
* Petrie is open to the idea of playing for the Eagles. He is awaiting a decision from West Coast.
* Harvey might yet play on at another club but there doesn’t seem to be much interest (according to his manager).
* Dal Santo is rumoured to be close to a deal with Collingwood for 2017.
* Firrito has officially retired.
* Farren Ray has also announced his retirement after 13 seasons at three different clubs.
* Daniel Wells is the latest to consider a move after receiving an ‘inadequate’ contract offer of two years. Being linked to Collingwood & Geelong at this stage.
* Majak Daw has re-committed to the club till the end of 2019.
* Jarrad Waite & Sam Gibson have both signed new one-year-deals for 2017.
* Rookie ruckman Brayden Preuss has been signed for two years and will be elevated to the senior list next year.
* Will Fordham will also play on as a rookie in 2017.
* Alipate Carlisle has retired.
* John Butcher, Sam Colquhoun & Kane Mitchell have been delisted.
* Hamish Hartlett has stated that he is open to the possibilty of a trade. StKilda, Essendon & Richmond are showing plenty of interest should Hartlett decide on a fresh start. He met with a number of Victorian clubs before departing on holiday.
* Reports coming through that Matthew Lobbe may seek a fresh start elsewhere.
* Liam McBean & Adam Marcon have been delisted by the Tigers.
* Ben Lennon has informed the Tigers that he’d like a fresh start elsewhere (new club not yet nominated).
* Tall Forward Ben Griffiths has signed on for another two years.
* Ty Vickery is still being heavily linked to the Hawks. After a ‘positive meeting’ with Alastair Clarkson, the Hawks are set to offer Vickery a three-year-deal shortly. The Tigers may still match the Hawks offer (Author: *forehead slap*).
* Former No.6 Draft Pick Reece Conca and the Tigers have mutually parted ways and he will be used at the trade table.
* Ivan Maric has agreed to a new one-year extension.
* Dustin Martin is reportedly being offered upwards of $1 Million per season to leave Richmond but seems to be a media beat-up.
* The Saints have delisted Luke Delaney, Tom Curren, Josh Saunders & Brenton Payne.
* Ex-Bomber Jake Carlisle will return for 2017.
* Darren Minchington & Nathan Wright recently signed new contracts tying them to the Saints till the end of 2018.
* Will Minson has announced his retirement in the wake of the Dogs’ premiership win. Despite interest from rival clubs, the Ruckman has hung up the boots after playing in the Dogs VFL premiership.
* As expected, Matthew Boyd has announced that he will play on in 2017.
* Tom Campbell has agreed to a new two-year-deal.
* Lin Jong is out-of-contract and is attracting enough interest from rival clubs. After missing the GF, he looks set for more senior football elsewhere.
* The Eagles are desperately looking for another Ruck option after it was announced that Scott Lycett might miss a large chunk of the 2017 season due to a posterior cruciate ligament injury. Rory Lobb is no longer an option after announcing he will honour his contract at GWS (end of 2017). Recently delisted Roo Drew Petrie is said to be of great interest at this stage.
* The Eagles wasted no time in delisting six players after their early finals exit: Patrick McGinnity, Jamie Bennell, Kane Lucas, Brant Colledge, Alec Waterman & Corey Adamson.
* There will be plenty of list changes out west given Xavier Ellis & Damien Cavka also retired during the season.
* The Eagles may throw a lifeline to Clem Smith, recently delisted from Carlton. The WA youngster just couldn’t break into Brendan Bolton’s line-up this year.
* Nathan Vardy of Geelong is now on the radar as the Eagles look for a solution to their Ruck problems.
What moves are you looking forward to? Any trades that you’re not happy with at your club?
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom