Welcome back to another SuperCoach season of Big Sexy’s Rookie Reviews. First off, I hope none of you got sucked in to getting the Relton Roberts of 2011, Brad Helbig of the Tiges is likely that man, and it is easy to get sucked in knowing he is playing midfield and named on the ground for the Tiges in the first match pre-partial lockout. However, there is a good reason none of us had heard of him (even I gave him consideration after teams were announced on Wed). Be sure to scroll down to the bottom to see all the round 1 rookie data. Getting straight into it:
My Top Five Rookie’s (<$200k) of the week:
1) L Tapscott (Fwd 110k) Plays a very courageous game and has a far more solid frame than expected for a new-comer to the seniors. Tapscott was named on the wing and got plenty of the ball racking up a lazy 113 SC points in round 1. No doubt he cemented himself a gig for at least another week (possibly many more). Tapscott picked up 19 disposals, took 7 marks and laid 1 tackle. Tapscott was taken at pick 18 in the 2009 national draft and missed most of 2010 after having hip surgery.
2) C Pederson (Def 109k)A mature age recruit at age 24, rookie listed, and a big fella standing 193cm played with Box Hill Hawks last season. Pederson had a great first up game spending quite a bit of time in the ruck and collecting 20 disposals, 5 marks an 3 tackles….. scoring him a sensational 114 SC points in his first up run.
3) E Curnow (Mid 107k) You wouldn’t believe I watched the Blues and Tiges in the season opener, and whilst trying to just sit back and watch the game whilst tweaking my SC team on my laptop. I was so focused on keeping a eye on rookie Duigan, and the other Blues and Tiger Premiums, that I hardly saw or noticed this guy….. then the scores come out, and he is the best scoring rookie midfielder in the comp with 118 SC points. Curnow picked up 24 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal and 7 tackles…. Pretty solid for a rookie listed player. Curnow was on the Crows list 2008, and spent 2009 in the VFL at Box hill.
4) N Lower (Def 110k) I was gutted that I opted to play Duigan on the field instead of Lower who was my emergency. Lower is another rookie listed player who was recruited from Norwood in SA and played 20 games with Port Adel between ‘06-‘09. Lower was in amongst the best players on the ground and picked up 22 disposals, 3 marks, 1 goal and 6 tackles… all this lead to a very tidy 110 SC points. He will be starting on the field for me next week!
5) R Tarrant (Def 184k)Would you believe the injury prone Tarrant was the highest scoring Rookie of Round 1. I didn’t give him top billing, due to his higher price tag. However, Taz-junior picked up 21 disposals, took 8 marks, and laid 6 tackles in a stellar effort that scored him an awesome 119 SC points.
Here is the rookie data for you to analyse in your spare time, and form your own opinions:
|R1 SC||SC Average||Player||Pos||Price||Team|
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom