My Top Five Rookie’s (<$200k) of the week:
1) I Smith (Mid/Fwd 103k) I rarely give top billing to a first-gamer…. And before I go on, I still recommend waiting until he’s played his second game and is named in his third before you trade him in, but Smith may be one of those ‘special’ rookies that everyone should have, here’s why:
a. He’s a Mid/Fwd DPP which we all need, even if he’s only on your bench for flexibility, even better if you find them worthy to start on the field.
b. He scored 102 SC Points on debut, exceptional!
c. He moves well, uses the ball well and will score the odd goal.
d. He’s 20yo, so has an extra couple of years on the kids and was the Hawks highest draft choice taken at pick 19.
e. In his first match he had 12 kicks, 9 handballs (21 possies), took 6 grabs, kicked 1.1 and layed 2 tackles…. Not bad for a first up run.
2) L Patrick (Mid 110k) Patrick is cousin of Liam Jarrah and had a stinker first up score wise (maybe the Sub), but in his second game took it to another level scoring 100 SC points. He had 10 disposals took 6 marks, kicked 2 goals and layed 5 big tackles which all coaches love…. And the fact the Suns won their second game for the season and Patrick played well, pretty-much guarantees him another run.
3) C Pederson (Def 109k) A lot of you will already know Pederson, and a lot traded him in after round 1 when he scored a massive 114, and tongue were wagging. Well, unfortunately with the return of Petrie and Goldstein, Pederson was relegated to the two’s….. However, he does have a lot of potential, and with a second up score of 61 he if guaranteed a big price hike if he gets another run. He’s pretty big at 193cm and solid at 100kg’s, and in his second run he picked up 10 disposals and I think he did enough to get another run to prove himself and build confidence…. Does his coach? I’m not sure!
4) S Iles (Mid 159k) Iles is Mr Consistent with essentially three straight 60’s. I don’t really need to state the obvious, but again, he plays for the Suns, so opportunity is rife for anyone who shows a bit. He won the GC best and fairest in 2010 (which doesn’t mean much), and picked up 17, 15 & 16 disposals in his first three games respectively.
5) T Lynch (Fwd 138k) Big Lynchy is a huge unit who plays up forward. He’s 199cm and 91kg’s, and whilst young tall forward a recipe for disaster when it comes to SC, Lynchy is fairly mobile for a big man. He did way better than expected in his first game scoring a massive 95 SC points. Lynch had 17 disposals, took 9 marks (amazing) and kicked 2 goals… so fairly impressed. That said, there is no way in the world I would trade him into my team until I see him back it up.
First special mentions for the season go to Retzlaff (61) and Puopolo (57) in their first games. Not sure Puopolo is the real-deal based on his first run, but we’ll have another look this week.
Here is the rookie data for you to analyse in your spare time, and form your own opinions:
|R7 SC||SC Average||Games||Player||Pos||Price||Team|
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom