This one’s been bobbing up a bit in the Trade Talk thread………should we consider trading in David Swallow (GCS) before his price rises next week?
Swallow has been plagued by injury over the last few years but there’s no denying his talent. During his last full season of football (2014), he managed a 103 SC avg from all 22 games played. Having missed the entire 2016 season, Swallow re-appeared at the affordable price of $280k for 2017. He ‘pulled a Copperfield’ before Rd1 however (late withdrawal) and subsequently vanished from many SC line-ups.
Upon his return, Swallow has produced an 88 & a 117 that was made up of 34 disposals & six tackles. Does he become a must-have MID at this point in time? Before his price rise? We’re quite certain that he won’t be an elite MID, so is it worth burning a trade to get in a ‘stepping stone’ option?
As good as Swallow has been in his first two games, Jaeger O’Meara has been at the other end of the spectrum. After missing two years of footy, O’Meara re-emerged from the Rehab Group at the tempting price of $318k to start the 2017 season. Many have been uninspired with his three performances to date (71, 89 & 44), especially considering he had 36 touches against the Crows in Rd2. Six kicks, 30 handballs……..kick:handball ratio……terrible for Supercoach scoring!
The question has been floating around a lot on social media if a trade of O’Meara –> Swallow is justified. For what it’s worth (and I missed the cut for SCT Cup……so not a lot), I don’t see much merit to such a move…….
1. You’re ‘only’ generating $47k in cash through that downgrade on current prices.
2. As explained in Hello GoodBye(Rounds), the Suns have their Bye in Rd9 & the Hawks in Rd13. So Swallow is already guaranteed to play one game less than O’Meara up until Rd13 (provided they both stay fit). Of course, you can cover him for that week but that brings us to………..
3. What avg can you expect from Swallow & O’Meara over the next nine weeks (till that Rd13 Bye)? Does that difference in pts justify burning a trade?
4. Both players won’t feature in the Top10 MIDs for the season so they’re basically ‘stepping stone’ options (to one of the elite MIDs). Is it worth burning one trade for Swallow when you’ll inevitably have to burn a 2nd in a few weeks?
5. A week can be a long time in football. This time last week, we all thought the Hawks would have a comfortable trip to the Gold Coast and come away with an easy victory. O’Meara & the Hawks are sure to come out pumped on Easter Monday……..
If I were to make such a trade then it’d have to be with a view to keeping Swallow at M8/M9 for the remainder of the year. Especially if I’ve already burned a few trades up until this point.
What’s your assessment of David Swallow? Is there room for him in your team?
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom