‘Rabbit season…….Duck season……Rabbit season……..Duck season, FIRE!!’ In any case, it’s upgrading season. While the temptation may be there to chase points and go after the big guns, you should be concentrating on finding the top players at a discount price (#3 today is a great example). If possible then it shouldn’t alter your bye strategy much at all……….please tell me you’ve checked your bye structure, we’ve already had a few warnings (only two weeks away!). We look at a nice mix of rookies and premiums today, as Supercoaches scramble to gather their best teams before the Byes. This weeks Most Popular Traded IN players are (SC Gold as of 31.5.16 at 6am):
1 – Rhys Mathieson (BRL $117 300, MID)
+ 14 touches against Hawthorn, nine of which were contested.
+ 59 & 53 in his first two games at AFL level.
+ BreakEven of -42 with projected BEs of -13 & 2. Get in while he’s cheap!
+ Rd15 Bye is very handy for Team Strategy.
– Four free kicks from the umpires helped his score on the weekend. Two games into his career and already shares a certain reputation with Joel Selwood.
– Only 57% Disposal Efficiency and three clangers against Hawthorn.
– Is his spot as safe as they say? I’m starting to have doubts whether he’ll retain his spot for this week, let alone in the run-up to the Byes (just my opinion…….wait for team selections on Thursday).
2 – Samuel Collins (FRE $117 300, DEF)
+ 59 SC pts on debut against the Saints.
+ 97% Time On Ground is always a good sign.
+ 12 touches at 83%DE and seven marks, eased into it nicely.
+ Freo’s injury list. Johnson & Pearce won’t be back before the Bye Rounds so it’s really Collins’ spot to lose (more than anything).
+ Rd15 Bye is also handy for your bye strategy!
– Trained by Ross Lyon………who knows what he’ll do at the selection table in any given week?
– Only played the one game till now. You can always wait till next week with Collins.
3 – Robbie Gray (PTA $502 500 MID)
+ Has the potential to be up there with the Top10 MIDs from this point onwards. His scores & price took a dive due to injury. Perfect example of a Fallen Premium.
+ Contested Possessions……..and lots of them! Averaging 14.6 contested touches a game, that is 7th in the League.
+ Scores before injury – 126, 129 & 123. Scores after injury break – 120 & 109. The injury affected scores of 74 & 53 will now be out of his scoring cycle.
+ BE of 73, barring injury this should be the cheapest you’ll get Gray in all year.
+ Averaged 110 pts over the last two years.
– Injury would be the main concern, has had plenty of issues in the past.
– Clangers! Averaging 4.3 per game, 6th in the League. That’s one list you don’t really want to be on.
4 – Luke Dahlhaus (WBD $547 300, MID)
+ After a breakout year in 2015 where he averaged 104, Dahlhaus has kicked things up a notch in 2016. Averaging 108 after ten games.
+ Seven tons from ten games this season, with a low score of 84. Looks a shoe-in as a Top6 FWD.
+ 37 touches against the Pies on Sunday for his 119 pts. He was everywhere!
+ Averaging 27 touches per game, on par with Ablett and form player Bryce Gibbs.
– Can he keep it up? Will he continue to improve or drop off as the season wears on?
– BE of 123, you could still afford to wait another week. Worst case scenario: you have to pay a few dollars more.
5 – Jackson Paine (BRL $127 900, FWD)
+ 12 touches against Hawthorn for his 47 pts. Previously scored 45 on debut.
+ BE of -15 coming up with projected BEs of 11 & 29, is ‘on the bubble’.
– Seven clangers from twelve touches doesn’t make for great reading.
– Hasn’t set the world on fire and the Lions have players to come back in shortly. Will Paine survive selection on Thursday?
Nos 6-10: Dayne Zorko (BRL), Max Gawn (MEL), Chad Wingard (PTA), Tom Mitchell (SYD), Jarrad McVeigh (SYD).
Most Traded OUT Players: Ben Kennedy (MEL), Michael Hartley (ESS), Mitch Brown (ESS), Sam Kerridge (CAR), George Hewett (SYD), Tom Papley (SYD), Stefan Martin (BRL), Clayton Oliver (MEL), Jake Stringer (WBD), Aaron Hall (GCS).
Most Popular Trades (so far…..pictured below):
Have a gander at the SCT Leagues Update later today to see which leagues are up there in the overall rankings (still one in the Top20!). MJ’s Fallen Premiums follow as always on Wednesday morning. Father Dougal gives us the cash projections for rookies in his Cow Talk thread on Wednesday afternoon. Plus Movers & Shakers, Bubble Busters, Burning Question, The Captains Table and full teams as they’re announced. Plenty to talk about at SCT!
So are you running with the crowd this week? Are you taking the Flavour Of The Week into your team? Or have you got a different strategy altogether? Best of luck with your trades this week! Tell us all about them………….
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom