Venue: Spotless Stadium, Saturday, 4.35pm AEST
Last 5 Games:
R16, 2015, Greater Western Sydney 13.16 (94) d Gold Coast 12.7 (79) at Metricon Stadium
R4, 2015, Greater Western Sydney 16.23 (119) d Gold Coast 7.11 (53) at Manuka Oval
R6, 2014, Gold Coast 20.14 (134) d Greater Western Sydney 13.16 (94) at Metricon Stadium
R23, 2013, Gold Coast 22.14 (146) d Greater Western Sydney 9.9 (63) at Metricon Stadium
R5, 2013, Gold Coast 21.22 (148) d Greater Western Sydney 16.8 (104) at Manuka Oval
Top 5 SC scorers from last match:
- GWS: D. Smith 170, Ward 130, Shaw 126
- Gold Coast: Ablett 189, Miller 132, Z. Smith 116
- In: Tim Mohr, Jacob Hopper
- Out: Toby Greene (Soreness), Phil Davis (Hamstring)
- In: Jack Leslie, Tom Nicholls, Keegan Brooksby, Matt Shaw, Brandon Matera, Callum Ah Chee
- Out: Daniel Currie (Hip), Matt Rosa (Hamstring), Clay Cameron (Knee), Jarrod Garlett (Omitted), Henry Schade (Omitted), Alex Sexton (Arm)
Game notes: The two expansion clubs have taken two contrasting paths in 2016. Plenty of negative attention has come the Suns’ way after Lethal Matthews had a crack at them stating that South East Queensland only had room for one AFL team. After a hot start to the season, the Suns have slipped out of the top 8 and seem to be struggling with injury again this year. Wholesale changes to the squad again this week signalling things are a little unsettled with the line up at the moment.
The Giants on the other hand are flying, with a club-record four straight wins to their name. Finals are looking more and more likely, especially if they can notch up another win today. The young midfielders in Shiel, Coniglio and Kelly are doing well under the leadership of Ward and Mumford in the middle.
The 6 Points
1. The Giants dominated the last time the sides played, winning the disposal count 384-305, the marks 121-79, having 10 more scoring shots and 16 more inside 50s. Devon Smith was best on ground with 27 disposals and four goals.
2. GWS has now won four consecutive matches – a new club record – and has kicked an average score of 132 points per game in that period, while holding its opposition to only 76 per game.
3. The Suns hold a narrow advantage in head-to-head contests with four wins from seven games, but GWS has won the last two.
4. Gold Coast is the worst clearance team in 2016 with 32 per game, while the Giants are ranked second at 41 per game.
5. The Suns travel to Spotless Stadium for the first time in round eight and they’ve yet to win a game in Sydney, losing twice previously to the Swans at the SCG.
6. Gold Coast star Tom Lynch has jumped 24 spots in the Schick AFL Players Ratings since the start of the year thanks to his brilliant early season form, and is now ranked number 34.
MJ’s Tip: GWS by 29 points.
While we do our best to update posts with end of quarter scores, we aren’t always online so if you have access to the scores and see they haven’t gone into the Comments section of this post, the Community would love it if you could help us out.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom