I’m back after a week off and thanks to Duck for covering me last week with his magnificently titled column – The Ducks Guts. I’ve got myself an issue or two to attend to this week. As previously mentioned by the very diligent Duck, Jed is down for 9 months with an ACL and with West Coast tanking their way to the finish line, Massive Cox will undoubtedly be sent for surgery on an injury he doesn’t have. Who am I going to consider? Read on.
- Josh Drummond ($457,900, 104.08) – scored 130 last week and still dropped $40k courtesy of his R11 score of 3. He’ll drop again this week so if you can hold off do so. Me, I’ll be making the trade to ensure I get the W. Hopefully with Adcock out he should pick up more of the load too.
- Sam Gilbert ($475,200, 97.93) – not as solid as Drummond – he has some off games every now and then but that’s a nice old average in even Liam Jurrah’s first language.
- Sam Fisher ($384,800, 91.07) – wanna make some $? Maybe dough is an issue? Cast your eyes over old mate Sammy Fisher. A super player in ’08, he’s on teams radars now and will often pick up a tag. Especially after a 175 pt explosion in R5. Warning though: he hasn’t scored a ton since R7. You can either read that as a flashing red light or that he’s due. A certain punter in our comp will spend a bit of moola this week and upgrade S Hill to him. Goooooooood trade, Bob.
Three blokes that have gone pretty much under the radar in our comp this year are:
- Jobe Watson ($515,100, 105.93) – yes he’s big and dorky but has he got himself into any kind of shape this year?? Will more often than not crack a ton for you, is cheap at this price and with Essendon in the running for a Top 8 spot has no problems, barring injury, of getting played every week.
- Mark Murphy ($556,600, 113.60) – what’s this guy gotta do to get some props. He’s missed a triple figure score ONCE all season and that was a 98 in R8. Bugger me I wish I had him since day 1. Oh, and he’s played every game. Did you hear that Gary Junior??
- Luke Power ($549,100, 101.67) – started the year off slowly and that’s probably why he dropped off a lot of blokes’ watchlists but has been humming along recently. Hasn’t missed a ton since R9. Also hasn’t missed a game and will get played for the rest of the year.
I couldn’t add him up the top coz everybody knows about him but Liam Anthony looks like a readymade AFL player. If you missed getting on him last week, have a couple of spare trades up your sleeve, and are looking for more than a half decent bench player, you couldn’t do much better than this bomber.
Who do I get for Massive Cox? Sandy will probably get shipped off for the same operation that Ol Deano’s going in for so he’s out. Given I’ve already got H-Mac, the two I’m looking at are:
- Kurt Tippett ($451,200, 84.87) – has had some shockers but appears to be coming in to his own with 4 tons in the last 7 weeks and the $100k-odd that I’d pick up for the trade is pretty damn enticing.
- Mitch Clark ($471,700, 83.73) – another bloke that started slow but is firing now. Similar stats to K-Tip so its hard to split ‘em. Has scored 100’s in 6 of his last 8 games so looks to be a little more consistent.
I’m struggling with this decision. Any opinions on the subject would be gratefully received.
- Jonathan Brown ($503,500, 95.93) – after tipping Lions players at every other position I couldn’t go past Jonno in the forward line but I’m not doing him any favours – the bloke selects himself. Tons in 4 of the last 5 mean he’s just getting ready for September action and at $500k is super cheap.
- Brett Deledio ($469,700, 95.40) – I counted up his bad games for the year (lets define them as <80) and he’s had 4. Conversely he’s hit 100’s 7 times including the last 2 weeks. With a 95 average he’s definitely worth a look, especially at this price. Your only concern is if Richmond mothball him in the hope of nabbing Scully.
- Lance Franklin ($344,800, 81.93) – not for the faint hearted. It all comes down to if you believe he has more of the stuff in him that helped him to a humungous total of 177 on the weekend. If you do, you’ll be champing at the bit to get him into your team at this price. If however, you’re more of the opinion that he’s probably more likely to score his previous week’s total of 16 then you wouldn’t want to be the 10 foot pole that touched him.
Hmmm 10 foot pole….that Peter North DVD must be around here somewhere….
One last tip before I go – Liam Jurrah for your bench.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom