The next set of Rookies in the spotlight are the glamour boys up forward:
- Devon Smith GWS $131k Mid/Fwd – Taken Pick 14 from the Geelong Falcons, Smith has had a great preseason, and whist I’m not sure the ball will be spending too much time in the forward area for GWS, the fact he’s a DPP and can rotate though the midfield ensures he’ll be one of GWS’s better scorers.
- Darren Pfeiffer PA $126k Mid/Fwd – Port Adelaide are going to need more than one shinning light this season if they are to hold GWS at bay for the wooden spoon, but early form would suggest they have found a talent in rookie listed Pfeiffer. He was taken with Powers first pick in the 2012 rookie draft (pick 3 overall) and is expected to the elevated off the rookie list.
- Aaron Hall GC $106k Fwd – With GC chopping a few non-performers from their list at the end of last season, the door opened yet again for some good kids to come through and Hall has shown a bit with solid performances during the NAB Cup. Hall was taken at Pick 7 in the 2012 pre-season draft and has spent time cruising across half back which might open the door for more good SC points.
- Ahmed Saad StKilda $124k – I’m not sure the Saints are set for a massive season, but their core group are still A-grade and the door is open for some youth to step up. Historically the Saints have been a little adverse to playing the kids, but lets assume Scotty Watters has a fresh outlook as Saad has been one of the standout rookie forwards during the pre-season, so we’re all hoping he gets the nod come round 1.
- Alex sexton GC $106k Mid/Fwd – Sexton was taken at pick 88 in 2011 draft, and has had a solid NAB Cup and the DPP status is a little bonus you might be able to make use of. He’s sure to get games this year, so watch out for his name when the round 1 teams come out.
Other for consideration are Jamie Cripps (Stkilda $162k), Levi Casboult (Carlton $113k by request from Motts), Adam Treloar (GWS $113k), Tom Couch (Melbourne $94k), Curtley Hampton (GWS $113k), Sam Kerridge (Adelaide $106k), Troy Dickson (Western Bulldogs $106k)
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom