This is the first in a series of Rookie Reviews this week that will cover each line, so look out each day for the next instalment. The first cab off the rank are the big boys in the Ruck:
- Orren Stephenson Geelong 106k Ruck 200cm 29yo – The Cats didn’t pick up a 29yo with a view to the future. The Cats knew there was a gap to fill with Ottens retirement and injuries to Vardy and Simpson. So West now has a solid hold on the number 1 ruck spot, and Chris Scott has already said the Cats like to run two Ruckmen and that big Orren is a likely starter. To give you some idea of why the Cats picked him up… 2011 was the fourth consecutive year he was picked in the VFL team of the year and he was number 1 ruck winning flags in three of the last four years.
- Johnathon Giles – GWS $126k 199cm 24yo – Whist GWS picked Brogan who will no doubt lead the ruck brigade and I understand Brogan is already ruled out for round 1 and perhaps longer. Knowing GWS must play youngsters for experience, he will be playing a lot this season – if fit.
- Jarred Redden – PA $113k 205cm 21yo – With no Brogan and Lobbe out with a hip injury for 6+ weeks, he is almost a certainty to get plenty of games which means the ball is entirely in Redden’s court as to whether he can step up and keep a spot, or fall by the way side. I’d suggest given the lack of depth in PA, they almost have no choice. Oh, add the fact Primus has fully backed him in, sung his praises and stated “we’ve found somebody”, if injury free, he’s a certainty early.
- Tom Derickx – Richmond $113k 201cm 23yo – With big wraps last season, a lot people had Derickx pegged for round one last season only to see him get injured and to save his likely debut to till this year. The only concern is that Maric and Graham are likely to be ahead of him in the selection queue with Vickery helping out.
- Sam Grimley – Hawthorn $113k 109cm 22yo – With Bailey out with another devastating injury for half a season, though, at least it was his wrist and not another ACL. Roughy will be lucky to play at all, and if he does, I can almost guarantee it wont be in the ruck, So opportunity is rife for the paper-thin ruck stocks in Hawk land. Watch the round one teams for Sam’s name.
Others for consideration are Billy Longer Bris $161k, Josh Jenkins Adel $113k, Andrew Phillips GWS $124k
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom