👑💰7 WINNERS IN 7 DAYS👑💰
Damion Maher (@Damion23) has rounded up seven previous winners of BBL Fantasy & SuperCoach BBL and asked them some insightful questions ahead of BBL08.
Thanh (alias ‘Bonsai’ here at SCT!) won BBL05 Fantasy and here is what he had to say…
1. What is your team name and where can people follow you if you have twitter?
FLYING HORSES. No twitter, but I’m a moderator on SuperCoachScores where we have a dedicated forum to discuss all things Big Bash Fantasy.
2. What were the keys to your success and any advice for new players?
As I reflect on my successful BBL05 campaign, a few things stood out which is apt for new players as it was my very first attempt at BBL Fantasy:
– A good starting team with flexibility to trade in players of choice and a having a robust trading plan.
– Targeting DGR players to maximise scoring opportunity for their respective rounds.
– Nailing your captain selections, despite one less than desirable choice, I managed to select 3 who were the top scorers for the round.
3. Who is the must have player and why?
This is always a hard, almost impossible question to answer in any Fantasy sports and wouldn’t everyone like to have the ‘crystal ball’ before we start, myself included.
As with most other Fantasy sports, it’s not necessarily who you start with that’s most important, sometimes it’s who you omit from your starting squad that can prove to be just as decisive. Missing out on those eventual Rd1 bolters will not be terminal to your chance of success it just means that you have to be smarter with your trading and maybe take some risks in order to bridge the gap.
In saying that, the scheduling of fixture for the opening round dictates that our focus should be on starting as many Heat and Scorchers players as practical. Hence Lynn, McCullum, Willey, Tye and Co. should be on the top of our list of priorities when forming our starting squad.
4. Will you have more bowlers or batsmen in your side considering the all-rounder changes?
The SC scoring system is designed to reward the very elite batsmen, especially those who can go on to notch up big innings. Think D’Arcy Short who ended with 3 of the Top 10 scores recorded for BBL|07. With that says, Tye, Bravo, Abbott, Christian & Co. also showed that they are capable of scoring heavily when given the right pitch conditions.
Having a balanced mix of top order batsmen and bowlers, mixed in with some handy DP players will provide you with a good platform and flexibility to trade your way through the season.
5. Two part question, will you have D’Arcy Short in your starting team and is James Pattinson a must have at 62k with a double in game week one?
I’m really 50/50 on whether to start D’Arcy Short or not. My initial starting squad will be built around Heat and Scorchers players and probably 1 or 2 Strikers players. I would only start with D’Arcy Short if the funds allows, otherwise I’ll have a plan to trade him in for the start of his DGR in Rd3 for reasons stated above.
If the Heat’s starting XI for the opening of BBL|08 against the Strikers indicates that James Pattinson is every chance to get a bowl, then he’ll more than likely starts on the field for my team.
6. Who is someone you think will be a smoky this year?
I think Marcus Harris from the Renegades could be ready for a ‘break out’ season. He has put together two reasonable BBL campaigns, averaging 50 SC points with a SR of 130. Opens the batting and could shoulder more responsibility at the top of the Renegades batting line up should Finch holds his position in the Test squad. If he carries his good domestic form into the BBL season, then there’s no reason why he can’t continue to build on the upwards trajectory of his past two seasons.
7. Making a big call: If you don’t start with __________, you won’t win this year!
Getting off to a good start is imperative if one’s going to contend. With both Heat and Scorchers scheduled to play twice in the opening round, it has to be a player from one of those two teams. The Scorchers are on the roads for both games, whilst the Heat stays at home (Gabba and Metricon Stadium). Based on that fixture, I’m leaning towards Chris Lynn or Brendon McCullum. Both can be damaging on their days, but I would give the nod to Chris Lynn for his potential higher ceiling.
8. Heat and Scorchers have a double game week one, how many players are you looking at starting with?
At this early stage, I’m leaning towards the Heat batters and Scorchers bowlers, so probably 7-8 players with a slight lean towards the Scorchers as the Heat have consecutive BYE for Rd2 and Rd3.
9. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on both of us! Which player is on the never again list for BBL08?
Cameron Boyce – I will not be tempted again despite the move from the Hurricanes to the Renegades.
10. Which two big bash teams face off in the Grand Final?
Adelaide Strikers to face off against Perth Scorchers with the former to make it back-to-back Big Bash titles.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom