Venue: MCG, Sunday at 3:20pm AEST
Last 5 times:
R3, 2015, Essendon 16.9 (105) d Carlton 11.18 (84) the MCG
R23, 2014, Carlton 14.6 (90) drew with Essendon 13.12 (90) the MCG
R3, 2014, Essendon 21.12 (138) d Carlton 8.9 (57) the MCG
R22, 2013, Essendon 12.10 (82) d Carlton 9.22 (76) the MCG
R11, 2013, Essendon 11.11 (77) d Carlton 10.12 (72) the MCG
Top SC Scorers from last match (listed in 2016):
- Carlton: Murphy 109, Cripps 89, Everitt 80
- Essendon: Zaharakis 102, Goddard 82, Merrett 75
- In: Armfield, Graham
- Out: Buckley (Calf), Charlie Curnow (Sick)
- In: Simkin, Crowley, Polkinghorne
- Out: Bird (Quad), McKenna (Om.), Gleeson (Om.)
Game Notes: Has everyone seen the Foxtel advertisement where the AFL coaches are given the 2016 draw and asked “Which games don’t matter?” (or something like that)? They all pretend they don’t understand the question or that they believe they can win every game they play.
“They all matter,” they state incredulously and guffaw like fools.
Both Brendan Bolton and Woosha circled this game before the season started. In permanent ink. This game really matters.
They want to win this game. They can win this game. This game could be the difference between last and second last, a huge distinction for fans and players alike.
It may not be pretty, but it will be intense.
The 6 Points
1. The last time these clubs met, in round three last season, Essendon had more disposals (385-336), more tackles (58-42) and took more marks inside 50 (15-9), but the Blues dominated the clearances 53-30 and both teams had 57 inside 50s.
2. After five matches this season the Bombers are the lowest-scoring team, averaging only 61.2 points a game. But Carlton is not much better, ranked 17th with an average of 63.2 points.
3. The Blues are the worst centre clearance team this season, averaging only 8.4 a game. The Bombers are not much better, ranked 16th with an average of 11.8.
4. Carlton and Essendon have played 63 times at the MCG and the Bombers have been victorious on 35 occasions. The Blues have won 24 with four draws. The Blues have lost eight of their past 10 games against all opposition at the MCG.
5. Carlton is the worst team this season for goalkicking accuracy with 44 goals and 52 behinds at 41.5 per cent. Essendon is only marginally better, ranked 16th at 44 per cent.
6. Of these teams playing on Sunday Carlton captain Marc Murphy is the highest-ranked player in the Schick Hydro AFL Player Ratings. He is ranked 48th with 452 points. His rival skipper Brendon Goddard is the highest-ranked Bomber at No. 62 (434.6 points).
Thommo’s Tip: Carlton by 20 points.
While we do our best to update posts with end of quarter scores, we aren’t always online so if you have access to the scores and see they haven’t gone into the Comments section of this post, the Community would love it if you could help us out.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom