Venue: Spotless Stadium, Saturday, April 30, 4.35pm AEST
Last 4 times:
R6, 2015, GWS Giants 16.12 (108) d Hawthorn 14.14 (98) at Spotless Stadium
R11, 2014, Hawthorn 14.10 (94) d GWS Giants 13.9 (87) at the MCG
R8, 2013, Hawthorn 21.14 (140) d GWS Giants 9.3 (57) at Aurora Stadium
R15, 2012, Hawthorn 28.25 (193) d GWS Giants 4.7 (31) at the MCG
Best SC Scorers from last game:
- Giants: Ward 131, Cameron 116, Smith 113
- Hawks: Burgoyne 127, Mitchell 117, Birchall 100
- In: Rhys Palmer
- Out: Devon Smith (Knee)
- In: Kieran Lovell, Daniel Howe
- Out: Langford (Corked Quad), Hartung (Omitted)
Game Notes: The Giants won their first match against the Hawks in this corresponding fixture last season, Round 6. With two consecutive wins, GWS will enter this one with their tails wagging, wanting to prove they can knock off quality opposition in their quest for a first finals appearance in their short history. The Hawks have won their last three matches, but only by three points each. They know how to win, but haven’t been overly convincing except for the belting of the Eagles on home soil in R2.
The 6 Points
1. Jeremy Cameron’s seven goals was the difference when the Giants upset Hawthorn in 2015; Callan Ward had 31 disposals for GWS and Sam Mitchell 34 touches for the visitors.
2. Hawthorn won the first game between the sides by a massive 162 points in 2012, the second by 83, the third by seven points, before the Giants finally won last year.
3. The Hawks continue to be the number one tackling side in 2016 averaging 84.4 per game, compared to the Giants who are the worst, ranked 18th at 59.4 per game.
4. GWS plays its first game at Spotless Stadium in 2016 this week; the Giants won six of eight games at the ground in 2015 after winning only five games in total at the venue in 2012-14.
5. Despite winning four games this year, the Hawks’ scoring continues to be down on previous seasons; in 2016 they’re averaging 95 points per game compared to 109 in 2015 and 111 in 2014.
6. The Hawks small forwards, Cyril Rioli and Paul Puopolo kicked 9 goals between them last week.
MJ’s tip: Giants by 14
While we do our best to update posts with end of quarter scores, we aren’t always online so if you have access to the scores and see they haven’t gone into the Comments section of this post, the Community would love it if you could help us out.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom