The next set of rookies to take a look at are the dour defenders:
- Brandon Ellis Richmond $126k – At pick 15 for the Tigers, and coming from the Calder Cannons Ellis may turn out to be a bargain pick up for the Tiges. He’s looked good and scored well during his NAB Cup games.
- Adam Tomlinson GWS $154k Fwd/Def – At Pick 9 in the 2011 draft from the Oakleigh Chargers, there is no doubting Tomlinson has some talent. His DPP status could make him a useful interchange with Smedts if you wanted to head down that path. He played the three NAB Cup games and saw plenty of the ball for the time he was out on the paddock.
- Tom Bugg GWS $113k – A talented youngster who played two out three NAB Cup games. He also has the ability to run through the midfield, so he has a high potential. Watch out for him when round 1 teams are named.
- Billie Smedts Geelong $113k Fwd/Def – Billie was taken at Pick 15 in the 2010 national draft by the Cats as a priority pick for losing GAJ. He played two of the three NAB Cup games for the Cats and was solid. However, a hip injury that eventually required surgery kept him out of the side for all of 2011. He’s 189cm and can hold down a key post, and after the retirement of utility Milburn and an injury to Wojcinski the door is open for Smedts to show what he has to offer.
- Paul Bower Carlton $157k – I’m not sure why I like Bower…. In fact, I don’t really rate Bower as a player at all, but he’s been around a few years and has a mature body. He is priced like a first year rookie which makes him hard to resist, and with injury concerns for the Blue baggers defense I expect Bower will get opportunities.
Others for consideration are Tim Mohr (GWS $124k), B Wilkes (StKilda $106k), Sam Darley (GWS $113k), Steven Morris (Richmond $113k), Peter Yagmoor (Collingwood $106k), Marty Clarke (Collingwood $170k), Matthew Buntine (GWS $176k), Lee Spur (Fremantle $116k)
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom