In our sixth SCT Brownlow Comp we’ve had by far our closest finish with a blanket finish featuring 11 coaches within 10 points of first place. Platten & Lockett, Hird & Voss, Mitchell & Cotchin. Players that will be forever share a bond due to their shared Brownlow triumphs.
It is with great pleasure that I declare the joint winners of the 2017 SCT Brownlow competition …… Catta and Slappa. Congrats to the both of you for seeing the game the same way an umpire sees things. Someone with background access will add your names into the Hall of Fame shortly.
For Catta it’s back-to-back triumphs and for Slappa it’s a first time entry for a first time win. Checked to see if they hadn’t by chance made the same entries but there were a couple of differences.
Catta v Slappa – Shiel v Ward, Gunston v Roughead, Billings v Steven (0), Treloar v Sidebottom (+3 Slappa), Jones v Viney (+2 Slappa), Brown v Higgins (+5 Catta). Shaun Higgins finding new and creative ways to burn people!!
The Death Adder 644
The Salamander 639
Roo Bloke 629
Lachlan Hunter 522
This marks The Death Adder’s worst finish ever and it needs to be highlighted. A lowly tie for 6th and a whopping 5 votes from the lead. What a terrible effort by someone that we all hold in such esteem when it comes to all things Brownlow. He’d ummed and ahhed between Treloar and Pendlebury and decided it was the season for the changing of the guard at the Carringbush picking youth over experience. It cost him 4 votes and a 3rd place finish.
Two bigger hard luck stories come from The Salamander (Jack) and Nathan.
* The Salamander’s much spruiked data analysis turned up a turnip rather than tulips when identifying Rockliff as a better option than Zorko. It cost The Salamander 12 votes and THE WIN!!!
* Nathan only lost by two points and he had a doughnut in Hodge. If Nathan had opted for one of Gunston, Roughead, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Shiels, Henderson, Burton or Smith would’ve got him the win. Ouch!!!!!!!
The Top 5
All bar three of us tipped Martin, Dangerfield and Mitchell to feature in the top 5 but didn’t get JP Kennedy or Franklin. Nateo didn’t rate Mitchell’s season and CJGRoyBoys@SCT went out on a limb, including JP Kennedy but missing out on Mitchell and Franklin. Lachlan Hunter didn’t seem to understand the intricacies of the comp and didn’t even include his top 5. If you add the additional 120 points that most of got for Martin, Dangerfield and Mitchell Lachlan Hunter actually rockets up to 542 and only 7 off the lead. Pays to read the fine print.
* Cuzza2 had a doughnut in Howe and as already mentioned Nathan had a doughnut in Hodge.
* Pop chose Heeney over Franklin which cost Pop a massive 18 votes.
* 40% of coaches had Yeo but he was only the 6th highest vote getter at WC and 6 votes off their 2nd highest vote getter (Shuey).
* 50% of coaches didn’t have NM’s highest in Brown.
* More people have learnt how to spell Bontempelli in the last 12 months but we seem to actually think Dangerfield’s name is Danger. 🙂
A pleasure to facilitate this comp for you all again. I’m going to look at making a few changes to the comp next year to better measure who knows what’s what. I’d like to change the scoring system for the winner, 2nd, 3rd etc… plus I like The Death Adder’s suggestion of nominating the players in order at each club and somehow awarding bonus points for this. As long as it doesn’t overally complicate the entry process or my data collation then I’m all for it.
Once again, congrats Catta and Slappa on your wins!!
And thank YOU RB, for handling another of SCT’s side competitions that make this site so interesting and so much fun. We just may have to create a SCT Legend category for all the effort you’ve put in over the years.
Leave a comment / Scroll to bottom